View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 03:28 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Janey & John,
Thanks for doing some research for me. We just brought the cabinet into the basement yesterday, but ran errands all day and volunteered at the Heritage Center last evening. Left it in the car overnight due to rain. I get wintergreen for about 8 bucks for a tiny bottle,, ordered from the pharmacy. Caution: don't put wintergreen into a dispenser plastic bottle, even those with a metal point/dropper. I learned the hard way. it basically destroyed it!.

Will review all of your research & Update on results.
You are welcome. I hope it works.

It does mention using a new metal paint can to put the mixture in. I know essential oils can be a little pricey that is why I mentioned the Thor's #12 tire prep beside that what was shown as being used. I forgot to mention some have had better results by heating the item before putting in the mixture (some have used almost boiling water and other have used xylene/xylol). Another note that I read about is that it will sometimes swell but returns to normal size after drying out a few days.

I'm not sure I got the links absolutely right. I read quite a few pages of using wintergreen oil and water or xylene. I did a little more reading and found http://www.hdmworld.com/tirepreps.htm that has a Thor #12 quart (32 oz) for $19 - don't know what shipping would be, though.

I wish I had some old rubber to test. I work in a sheet metal shop and I know we use xylene to clean gunk off sheet metal, and then I would have to find the wintergreen oil- oh well.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.