Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Peckish

Pinterest used to be a great tool. It was wonderful for bookmarking things because everything was pictures instead of words, so it was easy to see what you were looking at. However, 2 things have happened that makes it more annoying than helpful:

1) Lots of websites hopped on the "Pinning" bandwagon to increase their click counts, which in turn increases their ad revenue. These websites are, in my opinion, not ethical, because they post pictures from other people's websites and then pin these pictures to Pinterest, so that when you see something you like and click on it, it takes you to their website and not the original website. Most sites that do this are able to get away with it by writing a short article about the item and also posting a (usually hard-to-spot) link (usually in small font) to the original website.

2) Pinterest also started trying to make money, so the pins are interspersed with ads. It's kind of creepy because of all the browser tracking that goes on. My husband will look up hunting gear or parts for one of our vehicles, and the next thing I know, those items are showing up in MY Facebook feed or on Pinterest.

One of the things I do that helps me find the true "original" location of a certain pin is to search by image. Trace it back as far as you can go, then click on the image, drag it to your search bar, and enter. Then click "search by image". That will usually pull up all the sites that have that image posted. The only time this doesn't work is when the original website is defunct.

If you post a link to the quilt you're looking for, there are a bunch of good amateur sleuths here that would be happy to help look for the pattern!