Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM
lmanna

Default Beatles Yellow submarine quilt -Quilting Help

I am working on a Beatles Yellow Submarine quilt for my husband. It is made with 1/2" finished squares and was inspired by a free counted cross stitch pattern I found on the web somewhere. I still have a little ways to go but would like to start planning the quilting phase.

Hubby would like me to outline each of the different shapes with black thread - kinda like you would do with cross stitch. I am so pleased with how the piecing is coming out and I am afraid that I would not be able to stitch in the ditch with my machine well enough to "stay on the line" and for this quilt that would be pretty important. So I'm thinking I will need to learn how to hand quilt. Now come the questions:

1) What type and size of thread should I use? He does want the black to be fairly noticeable but not super thick.
2) What type and size needles should I use?
3) I should be able to make the stitches 1/2" long each, right? In other words backstitch like you would with cross stitch. This is an art quilt to be hung on the wall - it will not be washed.
4) This quilt is pieced using the grid printed fusible interfacing from Hummingbird Highway (love this stuff) so it is a bit heavy. I do not think I would be able to sandwich it and quilt it by hand and not have the layers move all over the place. I'm thinking I should hand quilt it before I sandwich the layers together. Would that work? Of course I would then have to figure out how to quilt it once it's all sandwiched without interfering with the aesthetic of the design.
5) Do I need a hoop for hand quilting?

What else am I not thinking of?
Attached Thumbnails beatlesys.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-16-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS