View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 04:03 PM
pchp

Default Mid Arm / Long Arm questions

Now that I'm retiring, I'm hoping to spend more time both quilting and being on the Quilting Board. I'm seriously considering getting a mid-arm (HandiQuilter Sweet 16 or equivalent) or small long-arm (HandiQuilter Simply 16 or equivalent). I'm trying to figure out whether the sitting or standing is better for me. I've had practice with both, because I got a frame from HQ back on which I've used my DSM.

When I tried out some machines at a local quilt show yesterday, the fact that the HQ Simply 16 had no pedal, so the speed was unaffected by how consistently I was pressing with my foot. The Pfaff and Baby Lock sit down machines both had pedals, just like my DSM. I'm wondering whether the lack of pedal might make it easier for me to more quickly become better at FMQ on the long arm than on the mid arm. Any thoughts?

Also, I have read that health issues to consider seem to be bad knees for the long arm and back/shoulder issues for the mid arm/sitting down. I do know that I have a tendency to tense up in my shoulders and not keep good posture, but I don't have knee problems. Are there any other health issues to consider?

Thank you!