View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 06:15 PM
elnan

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I love thrift shops and so does my hubby. Even when we go traveling, we stop at all we see. I have to say I have never see fabric at any of them....and I have loved fabric and been sewing since I was 11 years old. I have gone to many Goodwills and truthfully, I dont even know what section they would be in .....but I still look, and I have never seen fabric or even scraps. I have bought wool skirts and cotton shirts and cut them up when they were reasonable...but fabric....not yet. So folks, please share what you know.....
I head first to the area where pillowcases end. That is where I find fabric at GW, usually on hangers. GW has gotten too expensive, especially for a thrift store. Recently, I was in several stores owned by Visiting Nurses in Chehalis, WA. Also in same town is a large store in the same lot as Sunbirds. Husband goes to Sunbirds, and later meets me in the thrift store. This thrift store has the sewing stuff on the left side of the store as you go in. More and more they are offering how-to books and patterns. You can either look for thrift stores with an internet search, or get a phone book for the town you are headed for. I have even asked in stores "Do you have an extra or outdated phone book?" In some places a church will open a thrift store. They have good bargains. Your best bet is to do an internet search of the area you expect to stop in.
Value Village in Seattle used to sell clothing by the pound and I have bought items just to get the buttons. If you went in thrift stores and did not find the fabric, you should have asked an employee where to look for the "sewing stuff" Happy hunting!