View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM
quiltingshorttimer

like Annaquilts, I vote for a long arm set-up. Not having to baste the sandwich is so important to me that the extra price for the long arm is worth it. I do have bad knees and shoulder problems--but like others said, you can choose to use a drafting stool and sit while doing some types of quilting on long arm (not pantos--but those hurt my shoulders and neck anyway so i stay away from them!) and also fatigue mats are important. unless you are doing mostly king size quilts, don't think you need a super long arm either--most of us can only comfortably work in a space of about 15' in front of us without hurting our back--if the arm is high enough the quilt will roll without having to be really long. As far as having to crawl under it to check bobbin tension, I've never done that--i have a mirror that i use to check the back, or you can simple roll the quilt up, check, then roll back. have fun! I got a long arm 4 months before i retired and think (no, make that know) that I love quilting more than piecing!