View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 03:51 PM
quilt9226

Have a mega stash including bolts and bolts (my sister and I made small quilts for trunk shows and wholesale trade shows for a fabric manufacturer (like Benartex, Hoffman, etc.) We did not hoard the fabric for ourselves, much of it was used for charity quilts. Also bought bolts at a garage sale (Benartex) and the Goodwill-Moda and Marcus Bros, which we believe came from a lqs that went out of business. Probably the best buy from thrift store was a bundle of fabric for $25. Each bundle had 100+ yds in various sizes and only a few pieces were from JoAnn or Hancock. My sister bought 3 and I bought 2. I do buy from the one of the lqs in my home town (there are 3 there). However, my greatest coups were bolts of vintage fabric 3 from thrift stores and 1 from antique mall and on sale. The best thing with thrift stores is the hunt. You never know what you will find. Fabric has gotten really expensive and in 3 counties in Washington our sales tax is over 10% and license tabs and property taxes are higher also to pay for a transit system that many taxpayers will never get to use since it will take so long to construct.