View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Jeanette Frantz

I have to agree that fabric prices are "out of sight"! I spend a lot of time searching the web to find the best prices. I am a widow, and on a very limited income. I won't and can't pay $10 a yard for fabric My answer to this problem is I watch for sales. Recently, I bought batting at 70% off of by-the-yard batting. I've also shopped at Marshall's where I've gotten some very nice fabric at reasonable prices. The fabric may not have a "big name" brand on the fabric, but if it's quality fabric, I don't give a darn about the "big name". I do have a relatively small stash, but not enough fabric to construct quilts. I buy fabric for the project at hand -- that's the only way I can continue to make quilts, so I watch for sales -- and I buy fabric for the quilt top, excluding the borders. By the time I have the main top pieced, I will then purchase border fabric if the quilt is to have borders. Once the borders are completed and attached to the quilt top, it's time to purchase the batting and backing. During this whole process, I am watching for sales, coupons, etc. -- perhaps that's just my methodology, but it also keeps me within my budgetary limitations. But, I still won't and can't buy fabric at $10 a yard and above, it's just out of reach.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 08-19-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: correction of content