View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 PM
WMUTeach

West Michigan reporting in on the Eclipse. We had large fluffy clouds that kept moving over, but it did get rather gloomy. Not dark or gloomy like before a rain or on a run of the mill cloudy day. Quite different. I stepped out of my office into an open area of campus with a group of dietetics student interns. Their first day on campus and what do we do distract them from their orientation week with an eclipse. One student had the glasses, and the rest of us used the viewing boxes The larger boxes were really quite effective. I tried the kitchen colander and it was OK but the boxes were better. The glasses best of all but what a shortage of glasses! I am thinking of the Tickle Me Elmo and Cabbage Patch Doll shortage. Kind of like that. A nice little taste of what it could be like if we had been in the "total" path.

I did watch a lot of live stream on my computer. I learned more about sky, eclipses and how very dark and cold it gets when our sun disappears for only 2 or 3 minutes. Makes me thankful for that sun. Now I understand just a bit about how frightening it must have been when the volcanoes spewed all the ash in the air and it blocked so much of the sun light. How cold it must have gotten. Happy Eclipse day all!