Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I thought about EQ later. I don't have that program. Would consider buying it if I were more computer literate and sure I could use it! I just have to figure them by hand so you sure saved me a lot of figuring this morning! How many blocks for a lap quilt 60 x 60 with 2" sashing and maybe a 4" border? Would you recommend me buying EQ or not, since I have nobody here to help me figure it out? Thanks. Janet
A 3x3 layout with a 2 inch sash and a single 4 inch border would need 13 blocks. Final size -about 58.9". This does not include the binding.

OOPS! I put two of the same blocks on the quilt, but you get the gist. I thought since this is civil war and the quilters would be using what they had that they might would use different colors for the larger outside borders.

EQ has a steep learning curve for a lot of people. Rhonda's tutorials helped me out a bunch, and then participating in the DoYouEQ ClubEQ competition each month makes me learn the program. I just wasn't getting it using the Manual, which is available online. Plus, I just have fun trying to draw out what the blocks are as in this fun BOW and put them in a quilt myself. I don't always succeed. The manual may scare you so much that you never consider the program. There are other books that go into a different type detail, much easier to me, on how to draw blocks and quilts. Also, I am a very poor colorist. EQ helps me set up the colors in a quilt so that I don't hate the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails jan-60-inch-layout.png  

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-23-2017 at 03:58 AM.