Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 AM
HettyB

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Don't forget, with all the import quilts that have come into the country in the last 25 years, that "heirloom" quilt you see your neighbors putting on their car may have been bought for $19.95 in a discount store. Same with the ones you see in thrift stores sometimes. They are not all reason to feel sad.
Before I started quilting (20 some odd years ago) I bought one of those cheapies. It served its purpose and has been replaced by one of my own. The cheapie is used now when sitting out under the beech tree on the lawn. When it gets grubby I can boil wash it and tumble dry.

Having said that, I rarely give quilts as gifts because I don't want to impose my likes and tastes upon others and because of the hurt I witnessed when a handmade gift was not appreciated...

Many years ago, my stepmother made each of my sister's 4 kids hand embroidered and personalised sets of towels. She spent hours on them and they were beautiful. The bath towels were used as swimming pool towels and were left to fester on the cool decking and the hand towels were used in the kitchen and face cloths disappeared into the garage workshop. It broke my stepmother's heart, it made my father angry, I was angry but my sister didn't see it. Some people put no value in handmade items. They don't understand that handmade often means "heart"made.

HettyB