Thread: Hearing aids
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:01 PM
SusieQOH
Power Poster

I have had hearing problems my whole life but I finally got hearing aids 2 years ago. They are fabulous. I had no idea just how much I wasn't hearing. It was truly unbelievable.
I have ringing in my right ear as well. With my aids the ringing is gone- don't know the how of it but it's wonderful.
Mine were 6000.00 for the pair. They fit into my ear canal and the piece goes over my ear with a clear wire so you can't even notice them. My hair covers that part but you still wouldn't notice it when I wear a ponytail.
I also use an Ipod all the time and the earbuds are just fine with the hearing aids- they don't fall out etc.
I am so extremely happy! Now I have no problems hearing and no weird noises like on those old TV commercials.
About twice a year I have them cleaned and checked. No problems since I bought them yet. Only once I accidentally got them wet getting in the shower. I panicked, thinking I ruined them. Took them in- they sent them to Minnesota and I had them back in 2 days. No charge. I was so relieved!

These were my worst problems before hearing aids:
Ringing in right ear (very common with hearing loss. My Dad had the same thing)
Trouble understanding accents, for example British TV shows
Anyone on TV (except baseball or the news which I'd rather not be able to hear haha) The news, not baseball- love that!
Children- could never ever hear kids !!
People who mumble ( my husband and one of my sons does this)
People who speak softly. Forget whispering! Oh my that was hard!
While trying to watch a movie I would hear practically no dialogue. I just heard sounds and an occasional word.

They are worth every penny I paid for them. My insurance didn't cover it but I don't care. I just hope they last awhile.
Good luck!
Oh- the brand I have is Starkey. I get a large supply of batteries on Amazon for less than 20 bucks- last a long time. I need to replace my batteries about once a week. They are tiny.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 08-31-2017 at 02:14 PM.