Thread: Living Frugally
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
earthwalker
Power Poster

We are tipped to have another power bill rise in July, so we are getting very frugal with power. Here's my tips for energy saving:

We are fortunate to have a solar hot water system, so hot water in summer is free, we switch to a manual booster on overcast/winter days, just an hour or so to heat the tank water, then switch off. We have a wood fire in our winter living room, use draft stoppers and heavy curtains and use our own trees or found and scavenged wood for fuel. We try and turn everything off at the mains if we are not using an appliance (amazing how much the "trickle" adds up). Limit use of dryer (easier said than done for you chaps in the northern hemisphere). Wait 'til a full load before washing in the machine. We have forgone the luxury of airconditioning and have ceiling fans and in winter, when really cold we pile on more quilts or use very sparingly portable oil filled electric heaters.

We also have to pay quite a bit for water (we live in a very dry climate), so as much waste water as I can manage gets put on the gardens and around the fruit trees. We also installed dual-flush cisterns (so you can elect half or full flush).

Food wise, we bulk buy where possible, and also grow a fair bit. We are both good cooks so eating out is not our bag. Clothes are bought on sale or for me 'op-shop' and re-cycling boutiques are the go ('cept underwear, that's usually from Target or Kmart).

I rarely buy books or magazines, if I do they are usually from second hand dealers or charity shops. I also use our local library, which offers a free internet service if you need it. We don't go to movies, it is cheaper and more comfortable to buy or borrow a dvd and sit at home with a glass of wine and some home-made popcorn (cleanskins are good value or buy in bulk).

Also regularly review insurance policies or bank accounts, watch out for better deals, term deposits with decent interest and low or no account fees for your general accounts. Use credit cards infrequently (emergencies) or not at all.

Lastly, make frugal "fun" turn it into a game, rather than a "poverty trip". Stress (particularly over finances) is one of the biggest causes of illness or relationship breakdowns. Happy savings everyone. Sorry for the rant-fest.