Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 AM
jeaninmaine

Default Help Please - Strings, chunks, crumbs - sizing question

My husband lost weight so I'm trying to get all the big shirts cut up before he puts it back on. I'm trying to sort all the shirt pieces that I have left after cutting and storing the front & back sections. I want to do strings from 1-2" wide but would like to know how long a piece should be before I can put it in the string bin? Given a choice what would the best length to work with be? I've been doing the sleeves Bonnie Hunter's way so I end up with an angled section that I can cut strings out of. I figure I'm going to have some straight strings, and then some slanted pieces (from the collars, cuffs, top of the yolks and the close to the underarm seam sections of the sleeve) after everything else has been cut.

What are the slanted pieces called (for labeling purposes), I'm going to start using them for a paper pieced border?

I took an old Martins Point info book (feels like cheap phone book pages) up to Office Max yesterday and had them cut off the binding and then cut the rest into two 4 1/8" wide pieces that are almost 11" long, so I now have 488 pages to play with. It cost me $1.50, he said the price per cut had just gone down.

How big should it be to go into the chunk drawer? I take it for granted anything smaller than a chunk but bigger than an inch is a crumb.

I have been sorting the main parts of the sleeves and yolks into 1 1/8" (for when something calls for a 1" strip I'll use these and then cut it to size after it's sewn) 1 1/2" & 2" strips. 10", 6", 4.5", 2", 1 1/2". & 1" squares. I've also been cutting 3.5" x 8" for lozenges and 1.5 x 6 for rail fence to be cut down to 5" square blocks. Can you tell that I like to have a ton of projects going at once? I started out using the rail fence blocks and lozenges as leaders and enders then I got to alternating them and now I can't remember what the main project is.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 09-07-2017 at 08:54 AM.