View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I remember this thread about a bearding problem with QD wool batting:
Bearding problem

It seems to me that there are fewer reports of bearding with Hobbs wool batting. I do think with wool batting you have to be careful to use a closely woven backing fabric, and you also need to be sure the needle has no burrs.

I like different batts for different quilts. Hobbs 80/20 is my sort of all-purpose go-to batting when I don't have a special purpose. It is easy to quilt and provides nice loft and softness. It is also not too heavy.

I used Warm and Natural in several quilts before I decided it adds too much weight to large quilts. It also has a stiff drape that doesn't soften up until it has been through the wash multiple times (it *does* soften up eventually). I will still consider it for lap size quilts and smaller. I just don't like the weight it adds to a large quilt (I'm getting weaker as I get older) and also don't like its initial stiff drape. People who like the weight of heavy quilts are more likely to like W&N.

I like the softness and light weight of Hobbs polyester Dream Puff batting a lot. However, I found it more difficult to machine quilt on my frame than the lower loft Hobbs 80/20. If I can master quilting it, I will use it more often. One advantage of poly battings is that that the quilt dries much faster. I really like the soft feel of it in a quilt and, of course, it doesn't add a lot of weight.

I had the opportunity to handle a quilt with silk batting. It is luxuriously soft and light in weight. I love that! It is more "limp" than other battings and is expensive, so I would use it only for very special quilts that will be used to cuddle in. Wool batting would be better for a quilt that, say, would be hung over a bannister for show.

Comparing Hobbs 80/20 to an all-cotton needlepunched batting, there is a major difference in loft. You will get better quilting stitch definition in the 80/20 because of the loft. 100% cotton batting will always be flatter, with less stitch definition and loft.