View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Lilaciris

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Lilaciris
Originally Posted by butterflywing

try using Retayne. it doesn't 'catch' the pigment. it re-absorbs it back into the fabric so you don't lose as much intensity.
But then won't I have to wash each of the FQ's separately?
i made a quilt with a lot of red and a lot of white that hadn't been washed. after it was finished i washed it in the machine, gentle, cold water with retayne. i had no red bleeding at all. i think if you use cold and gentle the retayne will do it. you can do same-values at one time if you're nervous. btw, will you always do 1/4's?
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try with the next batch.

My next project, I'm going to try doing a rainbow. That's only 12 colors and I have 3 yds. of 90" wide muslin left, so I'm thinking that I might be able to do double FQ's(18" X 44", instead of 18" x 22")

I'm definitely leaning towards doing some craft shows in my local area and I would love to do this 36-step gradiation with full yards. Thsn I could just cut them down into FQ's afterwards. The only problem with that is, this batch was done in gallon freezer bags and for full yards, I need something bigger. I'm thinking that I might be able to fit a full yard into a plastic coffee can, but I need to get more of those and maybe only do 6 colors at a time. Maybe in the future, I will have enough to do all 36 at one time.