Old 09-11-2017, 03:33 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Another tip is to consider how the back of your quilt looks.
At a quilt show, I was chatting with the Chair of the Show, and commented that I was shocked that some of the incredible quilts had not placed. She agreed, and then told me, that I did not see the backs of the quilts. She had been a helper during the judging and told me that if I had seen the backs, I would understand why some did not place. As show spectators, we generally do not see the backs ... and have no clue as to what secrets they hold!

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Oh....I've never heard of that trick before...very clever! Will the binding get lumpy later on, after the quilt is washed a few times? ~ C
........ exactly the concern I would have in doing that.
With it being narrow pieces, whether short or long, and without any quilting to stabilize, I would think they just might start shifting around. Even for a non-laundered quilt, I would think that it would be difficult to get pieces set in place evenly.

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
another tip - if you are stitching in the ditch and you jump out of the ditch you can sometimes just use a marker to get the stitches to blend in with the fabric rather than rip the stitches out.
...... a good tactic, that does work.
However, a discerning judge would probably not look at that as a favourable technique and most likely score against it.