View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 02:10 AM
JJBlaine

Going in a totally different direction here...I make a sauce with yogurt, fresh lemon juice, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne. Then mix up some canned salmon with minced garlic, onions, parsley, bread crumbs and an egg. I shape it into patties, and brown them in a skillet with just a drizzle of olive oil. I serve them with the lemon yogurt sauce. It makes for a quick and tasty lunch.

I take care of my mother, who needs to, but absolutely refuses to, make changes to her diet. We had some really big arguments when I tried to make changes to her diet. I finally realized that I could not change the way she eats, so I had to change the way that I cook for her, so I have had to find sneaky ways of making her eat a little healthier without changing the taste or texture of her food.

Some of the things I do:

I make my own yogurt, and add extra powdered milk to the regular milk for the extra nutrients and blend into the sour cream and mayonnaise.

For scrambled eggs and omelettes, I substitute soft tofu for half of the eggs.

For rice dishes, I started using half rice, half quinoa.

I grind oatmeal into a powder and add it to pancake mix.

I've started using more ground beef, except I substitute half of the meat for one of two things: TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), or I mix it with grated carrots, zucchinni, chopped spinach, add an egg and some bread crumbs to bind it together, and a dash of Worchestershire for flavor. The TVP does make the meat a little more dense, but I can usually get away with it. With the grated vegetables, however, no one has ever noticed them at all.

She automatically adds salt to everything, even before she tastes it, so the sneakiest thing I did was cover up half the holes in the salt shaker!