View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 PM
givio

The free patterns are outstanding. They are simple to follow and not garbaged up with tons of instructions about how to lay out, measure, cut, or iron, etc.-- things an extreme novice might want to know, but an average person who has sewn a little doesn't need. The photos tell a lot of the story. The diagrams are clear. The instructions seem personal and give you a feeling for the woman who wrote them, Becky (an American who lives in Poland). One might think at first glance when looking over the selection of patterns, "this pattern is a lot of scrappy squares, this one is all squares too, this one is just more squares," but her creativity in how she puts together components is amazing. Her tricks and tips are excellent. Her willingness to share her ideas is priceless.

I enjoy reading the blog too. Becky must be a daily sewer, as she is constantly finishing a quilt top. Her pictures of finished items have been an encouragement to me to follow suit.

Her twin, Rachael, lives in Florida. She has a coupon collecting site that she runs in addition to selling fabrics on the twin's web site. A lot of the fabric prices are low because Rachael is finding stashes of quilters at estate sales, garage sales, etc., and passing on the good finds to us. I've ordered several times. I'm fond of, for example, old Cranston VIP prints, or other old fabrics from someone's stash. I like my scrappy quilts to contain a variety of fabrics-- not just a selection of new designer fabrics. I usually buy fabric about or under $4/yd., and get several yards to take advantage of the flat shipping fee of $5. The shipping fee is a bonanza (imagine buying 20 yards for a $5 shipping fee!), and I wonder how long she will be able to keep that up. :-)