Thread: Quilt Journal?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM
tscweaves

I just started quilting this spring and I keep a notebook with quilt information. I name and/or describe the quilt, what brand, color, and weight of thread because I am still figuring that out. The same with machine needles, brand and size, what machine I used because I have a bunch of them. I also include the type of batting, and how I quilted it and on which machine. I have been using different machines for both piecing and quilting as I figure out which one I like best for what.

I also note if the fabrics were precuts or yardage and then I use the project page for calculations for borders, bindings, and hanging pockets. I have been noting what books I have found answers to how to do things, such as proper rotary techniques and how to miter a border.

This is all in just a sprial notebook, with a page for each project. I try to remember start and finish dates and the pattern used. I also have an expandable file for copies of block patterns that I have already accumulated.

I have always kept project notes on my weaving projects and I also have started a notebook for garment and other items that I have begun to sew. Some of them tend to cross artforms so sewing information will end up in weaving notes and something pieced will end up in the sewing book. I found the notes useful as a weaver so I figured I would do the same with quilting and sewing.

eta: I always take picture of all my handwork.

Last edited by tscweaves; 10-01-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: to add more info