View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM
MadCow333

My mom was a home ec teacher. She said Ann Person came to the high school and taught instructors how to sew knits and other stuff. It was a 2-day class or something. Mom said Ann Person was a great instructor, a real pro, and everyone learned a lot of useful techniques and labor-saving techniques from her.

A couple days ago, I got an Ann Person Stretch & Sew V75 gray and white machine at the local Goodwill. I have the manual for it. I think many of these Ann Person Vigorelli machines are the same mechanically and have the same 28 stitches and controls, just repackaged slightly. Kind of like the Singer 500 vs. 401, essentially the same machines but different exteriors. My machine appears to be very complete and has the manual and original foot control and attachments. The manual is for the V70 and V75. V70 is a flatbed. V75 is a free arm. Stitches and controls are the same on V70 / V75 and orange E75 but V70 / V75 don't have that lid. The pics on that E75 lid are in my machine's manual, though. A quick tour of ebay turned up some '70s vintage Kenmores that have some of the same stretch stitches as these Vigorelli / Ann Person machines.

The controls are unusual. The slide lever up top by the lid selects the stitch. You have 2 possibilities for each slide position. The position of the buttonhole knob seems to be what determines which stitch you'll make. The two small knobs at top, the left is zigzag width which controls stitch width for all stitches. The right knob is the "buttonhole knob" and it controls position of the needle (left, centered, or right) and also seems to select which of the two possible stitches the machine will make. The big round knob on the column is stitch length (higher number - longer stitches.) The slider stick underneath that is the reverse lever. The stick thing, sticking out of the right side, is the "micrometric adjusting lever" and it controls stitch length of the "superpractical stitches." those are the black ones on that E75, above.

Straight stitch is slider "shift pattern selecting lever" set on "black pattern" on my V75. (But what's black on my V75 is a red on that E75, and vice versa. So maybe you'd pick a red stitch on that one?) ZigZag stitch width on 0. Buttonhole knob set on left needle position. Stitch length on 2 1/2.

Decorative stitches on my V75 are selector on the deco stitch you want. ZZ width knob on 5 or desired width. Buttonhole knob on Left. And "turn stitch length regulating knob according to the thickness of the stitches wanted." Use the micrometric adjusting lever on the right side of the column to adjust length of "all super practical stitches." "Turn the buttonhole knob from normal position to" (something other than Left) to "vary all stitches." And it looks like changing that buttonhole knob's position might select a different stitch? This manual is clear as mud. It's no wonder buyers had to take a class at the store, lol.

My machine doesn't actually run yet. It's seized up and it needs a new belt. I'll have to update this when I finally figure out how to put it through all of its stitches.