View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM
MistyMarie

What a year. There have been at least ten fires set this school year at my middle school where I teach. Yesterday I was working in the office on getting a substitute for Friday (to go to a training session) when the dean of students came running in and set off the fire alarm. Everyone had to evacuate the building. Fortunately, it was after school (about 4PM), but I only had my cell phone on me and my laptop. I had no purse, coat, or keys. I ended up sitting in another teacher's car for awhile, then when she left, I sat outside in the COLD for over an hour waiting to be allowed back in to get my keys. Finally I was allowed to get my keys from my classroom because my room was nowhere near the fire.
There were NINE firetrucks! The fire was set by an arsonist. They were very creative in how they set it and it took four hours for the firemen to find out where the smoke was originating. (Between two brick walls upstairs.) Anyway, the principal decided to still have school today... just moving teachers to another part of the building unaffected by the smoke and fire. He didn't want the arsonist to think that they were successful in shutting down the school. They had to hire guards to secure the building since the doors had to be left open to help remove the smoke and two of the custodians stayed all night cleaning what they could so school could open this morning.
Spending two hours outside without a coat yesterday did not do any good for my cold. I feel absolutely miserable today. I cannot feel too bad though. My principal was there until eleven and then returned at three this morning. He sounded like crude this morning.
I sure hope they catch the kid or kids who keep setting these fires. It is getting really old. One of these times, they are going to burn the school down!