View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
An elderly friend's home in the country was burglarized recently. They stole her grandmother's treadle sewing machine, a prized possession (along with everything of value, including a tractor and all the copper plumbing out of the house).
bkay
This sounds so much like the Eastern Shore of Maryland, especially Caroline County. I heard of an entire curved staircase being stolen. We had a cast iron woodstove, all the interior plumbing pipes, and anything else that looked like it could sell to a remodeler stolen while our house was up for sale and empty. Locals told me that the stolen property was probably located over the line in Delaware at one of the many old farms that had become places to sell antiques and used building supplies. People became leery of any unfamiliar vehicle in sight, but the people who bought those old houses had to work out of the area to pay for their places, so it was hard to protect property. Once while I was working outside, a truck pulled up and several young men jumped out and one told me they were there to "move that pile of dirt". At the time there was a restriction on businesses that sold topsoil, so my "pile of dirt" that looked like a small mountain covered with daylillies was an invitation to thieves. I heard of old beds, doors and windows being stolen, but never a sewing machine. The irons may have gone to a scrap metal recycler.

I feel for your friend having to deal with this violation of her home and sense of security. Is it possible that somewhere in her family photos there is a picture with the machine in it, or could it have been listed in old insurance papers?