View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 06:31 AM
OurWorkbench

Some additional notes from Janey -

The New England machine doesn't seem to hold a stitch. I didn't notice any patent dates on it. Were there any? Chris held it for me so I could watch the underside while trying to stitch. It looked like it was actually catching the stitch while holding at an angle. When set down to see if actually stitched it hadn't. I'm also curious about the spring metal piece from the arm to the needle bar. The thread spool is above of the needle bar so it can't be a tension device for the thread. I know you have done some research on this machine does that include Cooper's from the Smithsonian?

I had tried to research Britain X before actually seeing the machine. Needlebar lists Britain as being a badge for Davis and not National. It definitely is a National. It is a Reversew Rex machine. As it turns out the spelling on the machine and the bentwood case both have it spelled with double "T." It does need some major electrical work. It uses those Chicago type plugs and the casings are broken along with some bare wires. The shuttle is the same length as the Singer 27s but the bobbins are a little shorter. The shuttle has a little different smooth area than the 27s. The shuttle also has a blunt tip. Just for fun, I actually got it to make stitches (by hand) with the blunt tip. The three bobbins that came with it had multiple colors of thread on them. (shucks- just remembered I did not take any pictures) I have taken the thread off all of them, now.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ETA - I just noticed the spot on the front of the base and realized it is the reflection of the triangular ended key

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-09-2017 at 06:34 AM.