View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Welcome - this is an addictive activity -

A caution: Perhaps don't promise a quilt to everyone you know quite yet - - - I did - and I am feeling guilty because I have not fulfilled all of those promises yet.

Another caution: This can be an expensive activity - so if finances are an issue (they are for some of us) - again be cautious with what you promise.

All my machines are middle-aged - my "youngest" one is 23 years old that I just bought as a "used machine" a week ago. I will compare my piecing and stitching with the best of them with my "older" machines. So I can't offer much help with the newer machines.

If your machine does a decent straight stitch, that will take care of ALL of your piecing needs. Honest! But if you are looking for a reason/excuse for a new or newer machine - go for it! :-)

You might start out with how much you want/can spend and go from there.

Is an embroidery function important to you? That is another category that requires more supplies like stabilizers, specialty threads, etc. etc.

Do you have friends that might let you "play" on their machines for a bit? Some just "feel better" than others.

PS - Congratulations on finishing your first quilt.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-09-2017 at 11:09 AM.