Thread: batting
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM
susiecute

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
susiecute, here is a link to the simple instructions that Lutheran World Relief has for its quilts:
https://lwr.org/get-involved/quilts The "filler" the instructions mention is batting or a substitute.
Many churches use this method and make at least as many or more quilts per year than your group does. They are successful because they layer, then tie, and then do a foldover binding. The binding is fairly wide, which is easier to sew. A walking foot helps prevent pleats in the binding.

Best wishes in your efforts to improve quality, reduce expenses, and make the process enjoyable in your group.

Thanks for the link. all this time i thought we were making them the same was as lwr pattern!! i just joined this group about a 18 months ago and thought they were using that pattern. they are not. hmmm. wonder who came up with this idea? i had laid out a double bed with the pellon batting and took it in tonight and laid it out on the tables. it is a disaster - it is bunched up and wrinkled and will have to be torn out. the consensus tonight was to go back to the warm and natural. we have gone through maybe 4 rolls of the pellon - this one is the worst - wondered if the supplier or something had changed (it came from walmart). someone mentioned goodwill on this thread - we get our sheets from goodwill, salvation army, volunteers of america (last tuesday of the month when everything is half off) as well as estate and garage sales. since we started using sheets - the blankets are much prettier than the willy nilly patterns thrown together.

to date we have received several grants from Thrivent for service projects - but the grants are not big enough to purchase the warm and natural batting.

we shall see how the new batting works. many thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.