View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 AM
susiecute

Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Hello all! I've been lurking around here for awhile but this is my first post. I'm hoping you can help me.

My 9 year old Bernina Activa 230 is acting up. Just paid $200 for a new "power board" (because it would not turn on) and not a week later it started acting up. I thought it might be the foot pedal this time, but tried my Mom's pedal (same model) and the same thing is happening. It will only sew slowly and if I depress the foot pedal further it stops. When it stops it comes out of needle down or any needle position or setting and reverts to default. I'm afraid it's the circuit board, but don't know yet.

Should I put more $$ into this machine or put the money toward a new machine (not a Bernina.)? I have really loved this machine - is 9 years about all I can expect?

I also have a vintage machine - a class 15 clone - all metal straight stitch. It's roomier than my Activa so may try it for quilting. It needs a new belt and some feet but it works. Thinking of buying a Brother/Juki etc for about $500 or less to get free arm/zig zag decorative stitches for applique etc, etc.

What do you think?? Repair the Bernina or buy something else? A pricier Bernina is not an option. Thanks!
I had a bernina 1230 - lasted 27 years until this past spring the circuit board went up. the bernina repairman said he MIGHT be able to get a new board - but it would also go up until they isolated the reason it didn't work - he felt it would be too much money for an old machine. i decided to do without and bought a couple of cheapies at local garage sales. they were cheap and not my bernina. i ended up getting another bernina - 530 i think it is. love it. i sewed thousands of dollars worth of doll clothes on that bernina every year i had it. i bought another. they are expensive - but in my experience - well worth it.