View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Lynnie25

Default Street Directory Quilt - how it started

There has been a few requests on how I came to make this quilt. I had been looking for something to do which would use up a heap of scraps and one day when I was in the local Information Centre, I picked up an A4 sheet of our town's local street directory for a friend. On the way home, I decided that would be my next quilt.

I took that A4 sheet to the local printing shop and got them to enlarge it many times to a size that I would be able to manage. At home I joined those paper sections together and then copied the whole street directory onto tracing Vilene which made it so much easier to manage. (see photos) The pic with the star is where my house is on the map. I am not sure how to write under each pic but they are in order as to how the process went.

I then divided the street directory up into 4-5 sections and traced each section again onto tracing Vilene. Then the fun began. All scraps were used where I could, joining pieces if needed. All the house block sections were foundation pieced and then pinned onto the traced section. The streets / roads were drawn onto fusible, cut out and ironed on over the house sections. The schools are yellow sections, the parks / recreation grounds / grassy areas are green, industrial areas are brown.

I hope this helps you understand how this quilt has gone together so far. I will continue to post pictures as I progress on adding the street names and then the quilting process. And of course, the end result !
Attached Thumbnails paper-version.jpg   copied-onto-tracing-vilene.jpg   divided-into-sections.jpg   house-pieces.jpg   my-house.jpg  

river-through-town.jpg   22136860_10211031060478488_8175715428306532969_o.jpg