View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 06:02 AM
mhollifiel

IF you sew every day and only do straight stitching but want the convenience of knee lift, needle down, large harp, needle threader, HEAVY duty, variable speed (up to heart-stoppingly fast), automatic thread cutter, plus you can fill bobbins while you sew - my new love is your best choice. Three weeks ago I bought a Janome 1600P and, while I have 11 other machines including four Berninas, I am over the moon crazy about this machine. And the price was WAY less than what I paid for my last Bernina over 15 years ago!

After years of looking at all the options/bells and whistles on machines I was using, I finally realized I was never going to use them and didn't care to learn how. I can't remember when I even zigzagged anything! All I wanted was a super reliable, fast straight stitching machine. Trained as a Home Economist, I have sewn about everything in my day. Today I only piece tops and backs and leave the quilting to others. I do see that there is a fmq foot that fits this machine.

My output has tripled at least and I haven't even given myself permission to put this machine up to it's highest speed! I am thinking that I just might get my considerable stash used up for my charity quilting with this baby! There's a screw down gauge that comes with the 1600 that I have been using with considerable accuracy. My scant quarter inch seam is as good or better than I have been sewing heretofore. I found these gauges to be aggravations before but it is a real asset on this machine.

The Janome 1600P is mostly marketed to professional sewists; however, if there are others out there like me, this will soon become the darling of the vast "I am a quilter. Don't talk to me about garments or embroidery." market. Keep your old machines, buy this one and piece like the wind!

I must add just one con to these many pros. I am headed for a retreat in two weeks and I am DYING to take this baby with me. She weighs in at 37 pounds; really heavy duty! But I just may take her anyway because I want to make all my retreat buddies JEALOUS!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 10-13-2017 at 06:07 AM.