View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 02:23 PM
quiltedsunshine

Originally Posted by SewingMunchkin View Post

I am really looking for a machine under $800 and I am open to other suggestions.

There is also a Bernina dealer close by but again I cant find the prices for these machines to know if any of them would be in my price range.
There are 2 Berninas that might fit in your price range. The 215 is around $700, but only has utility stitches. The 330 is around $900. Berninas don't have as many bells and whistles because of the oscillating hook system. Drop-in bobbin and rotary hook machines can have a thread cutter and bobbin sensor, and can do wider decorative stitches. But the oscillating hook (probably like your old Kenmore) still gives the best stitch quality.

But then, I don't think people really know what good stitch quality is. You can recognize a good stitch by sewing a zig-zag with a dark thread in the top and a light thread in the bobbin. When you look at the back, the top thread has just a "tick" showing. The bobbin thread doesn't pull to the top, and the "tick" that's showing on the back is even. We can get that with most Berninas. But we don't expect that quality stitch from a rotary hook. Some drop-in bobbins can achieve that with light sewing. Your trade-off is a jammed and damaged plastic bobbin case when you try to sew layers or thick fabrics.