Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM
mountainwoman

Well, this is disappointing, but I guess I expected it. What I mean is, I was hoping that maybe this modern Singer Featherweight would be a quality machine. As you pointed out, "Singers are not worth the name." This was a shocking revelation to me when I set out a couple of years ago to buy a sewing machine. I just assumed I would buy a Singer (which I owned back in the 1960s/1970s) and learned that they are, basically, a piece of junk these days. My teacher retirement/social security checks don't allow me to afford the really high quality machines, and I don't have the skill level (yet!) to merit the expense. I purchased a Brother SQ9185 Computerized Sewing and Quilting machine and could not be happier; I absolutely love it! I have taken it to my quilting group, to free up one of the ones we have through donations (we are a church group), but I am recovering from back surgery and can't do this right now. The reason I don't want to buy a vintage featherweight is because, I am sorry to say, I can't sew a straight scant 1/4" seam no matter how hard I try; I use a 1/4" foot with guide and my seams are perfect every time. I doubt I could use one on a vintage machine. Anyway, thank you so much for your input !