View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 PM
themadpatter

Default Unexpected surprise in a vintage quilt

I believe I bought this at a thrift store, probably 20 or 30 years ago. Here's a picture of the front.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582513[/ATTACH]
Here's a close up of some of the fabrics. Not very exciting, right? Machine sewn and tied, not even quilted. Yawn. But, I think that's Bambi, isn't it? So, we know the replacement top was made after August, 1942.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582514[/ATTACH]
It has gotten more and more tattered over the years. I admit, I really didn't know anything about taking care of a quilt, I just washed it and hand-dried it. The back was really faded and nothing special at all. The cotton batting was all gross and lumpy.The other day, I was looking at it, and noticed that there was another top inside it! And it is hand sewn. Its really tattered, the fabrics are so old they are really falling apart. I took it apart, and here is that brave, old quilt inside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582515[/ATTACH]
Do you know what this pattern is? Here's a kinda close-up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]582518[/ATTACH]
It also had a piece of an old blanket in it, and a piece of it was cut off and sewn on. So, I'm taking the sewn on part apart, and using the pieces to patch the old girl.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0928.jpg   100_0930.jpg   100_0923.jpg   close-up-old-quilt-top.jpg