Old 10-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Kcmomto2

Default Technique question: Converting measurements for flying geese block pieces

Not a very compelling title, I know, however...I'm trying to think through all the ramifications of converting the measurements, considering the pros and cons of cutting triangle pieces for flying geese units, per the pattern's instructions, versus cutting rectangles and squares for the same geese units so I can use a stitch-and-flip technique to avoid sewing bias edges of three triangles together. If I cut triangles, the seams are 1/4 from the cut edges. If I cut squares to position in the corners of the rectangles, sew corner to corner on each side, will the geese units be a different size than that of the first method? I'm a little befuddled because instructions earlier in the pattern have me cutting and using a stitch-and-flip method for construction of one star block, and now it's having me cut triangles for a different construction method for the same block design, just a bigger finished block. Should I just cut and piece as directed or shall I continue to overthink it? LOL If I should stitch and flip, is there a formula that will help the math come out right? I know I'm capable of doing it either way, I'm just trying to minimize the opportunities for things to slip out of whack. Is there a YouTube video or website link that talks about stuff like this?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-23-2017 at 02:36 AM. Reason: remove copyright picture