View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 AM
KwiltyKahy

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Long story short, I got my first embroidery machine over 20 years ago, and have hundreds, if not thousands of designs. I went to look on one of my USB flash drives for an old design, and it wouldn't open. Found out that the average lifespan of a USB flashdrive is 10 years!! Less if you write over them several times...The lifespan of a CD is 100 years +++.....so...been transferring everything to cd's over the last few days. What a pain. This way, I'll have them, and if I need them I can put them on a flash drive in a matter of seconds..but I'll always have a backup. I found a free program that pulled data off of corrupted cd's and flash drives...it worked on most of my bad flash drives, but I did lose a bunch of designs.
Moral of the story..don't trust your flashdrives!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up . It never occurred to me that a flash drive would go bad. I have been transferring designs to flashdrives from my 35 discs. Better go get some cds and get busy.
One of my objections to flashdrives is that you can't write on them to identify the contents like you can on cd or discs. Since I will be transferring to cds, maybe I will get organized and put the flowers together , the geometrics together, the birds, the butterflies. . . . (Maybe)

Last edited by KwiltyKahy; 10-25-2017 at 04:56 AM. Reason: addition