View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 AM
bkay

No, I cleaned it in my "garage". I cleaned the outside with Go-Jo (non-pumice) and in some spots resorted to kerosene (lamp oil), which won't hurt your paint. Mine was in a cabinet and apparently left there, face down, for many years and in some heat. The old lubricant had leaked through to the face and had hardened. The insides were in a similar condition.

So you're not surprised, it may take a lot of cleaning and oiling to get it to work again. Before I started this machine, I used kerosene (lamp oil) to clean old oil. Cari or Macy suggested denatured or 90% rubbing alcohol (The denatured works best but is expensive.) and it works lots easier, but will damage painted surfaces. So, be careful with it.

The folks here were extremely helpful. Janie found me some old posts about cleaning and un-sticking a 401, by J. Miller and archaicArcane. I can't find them now, though. (She's really good at it.)

I just brought it in to use as my everyday machine and I love it. It's quiet and smooth. It may end up being my favorite machine.

bkay