View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM
MissDee

Question Odd problem with color bleeding

Hello all -

I just finished a quilt and gave it its first wash. It's browns and golds with a cream background and a dark brown backing. The cream is Moda Bella Solids Snow, some pieces cut from yardage and some from jelly roll strips. I washed it in cold water on delicate with a couple of color catchers, and one of the brown fabrics (I'm guessing it was the backing) bled, turning some of the cream fabric a light pinkish tan. Here's the odd part, though - the yardage was the ONLY fabric that took up the dye; the pieces cut from the jelly roll strips are still the original cream color, even though some of the two are actually side by side.

Have any of you ever had this happen? I'm quite sure that the yardage was really Moda fabric, as I bought it from Hancock's of Paducah (although I did buy it online and not in person).

I tried washing it a second time with 5 more color catchers and a small scoop of OxyClean, but it didn't help. This was going to be a gift for my sister-in-law; not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I'll see what it looks like when it's completely dry and decide if I still want to give it to her. The "new" color isn't awful, it just isn't what I wanted it to be. I just can't figure out why supposedly identical fabric behaved so differently - are the jelly rolls treated in some way to make them easier to cut by machine, or something like that?

I've posted this on another quilt forum to ask the same question, so this may sound familiar to some who (like me) read multiple boards . . . I'm just really curious to find out if anyone else has had this experience.