View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:37 AM
tropit

OK...so, I had some of my Yuba for lunch today. I know that some of you might think that is Yuba is too weird, but really, it's just the skin off of soy milk that develops when it is kept at a simmer. Yuba has the texture of a chewy, wrinkly noodle. (It would be a good substitute for someone who is gluten intolerant, or restricting their carbs.) My favorite thing about Yuba is that the folds in the Yuba noodles hold all of the yummy sauce. Sometimes the little "logs" unfold, but that's OK too. It's all delicious.

The best place to find Yuba is probably in an Asian market. It might be labeled under a different name, or in a different language, so ask the grocer for help. We are lucky around here. There is a gourmet tofu company, the Hodo Soy Beanery, in the Bay Area (San Francisco) that makes it and distributes it up to our local co-op.

Here's my recipe that I whipped up for lunch:

1 pkg Yuba
1 T Canola Oil
1/2 Chopped Onions
1C Sliced Cremini Mushrooms
2 C Chopped Broccoli
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Oyster Sauce (or to taste)

I opened my package and unfolded my Yuba, then loosely rolled each sheet up into a log, then cut the log into 2" pieces. I put the canola oil in a non-stick pan and heated up. I placed the log pieces into the hot pan and let them get a little crispy, with light brown skin on the bottom. I turned them and browned the other side. (They like to stick to the pan, so I had to be careful.) Then, I added sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, chopped broccoli, water and the oyster sauce and let it all simmer for a few minutes. Poured into a dish ate it all up. :P

~ C