View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM
dunster
Power Poster

A modern quilt guild started up near me, so I joined, and I enjoy the group a lot. I'd say the average age in this guild is much lower than the average age of the other guilds I've joined, but there are also members of my ancient generation. The younger members seem not to have been exposed to the traditional quilting world, so everything is new to them, and they tend to think that everything in modern quilts was invented by the modern quilt movement. At one meeting several people were talking enthusiastically about improvisational piecing, so at the next meeting I took in a vintage top, probably from the 1960's or 1970's, that used improvisational piecing, just to show that it's nothing new. I do like the quilts that these people produce, often using solids, simple piecing, and lots of negative space. As a longarm quilter (not professional), I love all that negative space, provided it's well quilted. I think it's wonderful that the modern quilt movement has resulted in so many younger people starting to quilt. It doesn't even bother me when they think they invented it, LOL.