Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Default Son's Birthday Quilt... from Recycled Shirts

I love to work with recycled shirt fabric. About a year ago my friend Givio and I embarked on a little quilting adventure. We took an old BOM by a guild in Florida (Jingle All the Way) and did the monthly blocks in shirts, rather than Christmas fabrics, as the original BOM was. We each made two of the blocks each month, and then swapped the extra ones with each other. Somewhere along the line I felt this was supposed to be a special quilt for my youngest son... and now it is! His birthday was yesterday but he won't get this until he comes home for Thanksgiving next week.

I quilted each block individually, QAYG, so I had more freedom to do turns and curves with my walking foot. I love that method! Once done I needed to make the quilt a bit bigger, so I used 3" sashings with inserted batting strips. This was my first try at that and it worked out much better than I expected. Last of all I needed to add the same 3" border around the outside, to match the sashings. Hope you like Luke's quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583961[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc03789.jpg   dsc03783.jpg   dsc03785.jpg   dsc03790.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 11-16-2017 at 01:27 PM.