View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Sew happy

I looked through the topic batting and didn't know whether to post this there or start it in a new topic. I have been making quilts for years and prefer cotton batting. I've recently completed my grandsons quilt and my daughter asked me to use a batting that would make the quilt suitable for warmth in the winter time climate. She doesn't want me to use a wool batting. She lives in another state with colder winters than we have in South Florida.
Are there any battings that are cotton and a bit thicker than warm and natural batting? Also, would flannel fabric as a batting instead of regular cotton batting be a better option?Could I use flannel and a cotton batting? Thickness will not be a problem sewing because I will be machine quilting it on an industrial sewing machine. I haven't used polyester batting in years and didn't like it because years ago it became brittle with age and can beard into the quilt top after a few years. Maybe polyester has improved and this could be another option. Thanks for any suggestions, I sincerely appreciate some advice.