Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM
GingerK

Oh my dear, you are a person who quilts for and from the heart. After reading your post, I feel that you really do not need direction from any of us. You already instinctively know where, to whom, and when a quilt will be appreciated and should be given.

I also try to keep a small stash of baby tops for those times when a quick gift is needed. I have been trying to accumulate a stash of smaller giftable objects--runners, toppers, etc.--but somehow the stash never gets too big. Storing is anywhere dry and clean. I actually lay completed quilts on my spare bed (yes a real hassle if we get overnight guests--but sometimes a lovely way of gifting a quilt to a person who is worthy as they see me peel the quilts off their sleeping accommodation)

As far as 'being specific' with my gifts. Yes and no. If I am making a wedding quilt I have never asked the recipients for input, but have literally 'slept on it'--thinking about them and letting my mind roam. So far I have 'batted a thousand'. For our niece, the colours of her quilt were a 90% match to the colours of the hills and valleys surrounding her home. For the DD of a dear friend, I got chills as the groom's mother talked about his love of rainbows. How did I know?? I honestly just went with my gut.

But it all comes down to what fabric you can afford, how much input you want from the recipient and honestly what You want to create. Do you need to have someone else 'direct' your quilting? Or are your quilts more spontaneous and gifts of the moment? We all feel our way as we progress in this wonderful journey of cloth and thread. Never ever feel that you must follow someone else's path. Shoot--where's the fun in that!?!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-19-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS