View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 AM
rryder

For my Brother PQ1500s (high shank) I love the Janome convertible FMQ foot set with the ruler foot attachment- it just floats over the surface and has a thumb screw that’s great for doing quick adjustments to get over high spots. I use it for ruler work and also reg. (freehand) FMQ as the visibility is very good.

For my PC420 (low shank)- I usually use a generic metal hopping foot that started out as a wide oval, I cut the front portion off the oval and the visibility is great. That machine does a much better job with a hopping foot than a floating one. OR- I sometimes use the hopping foot that came with this machine since it has some nice markings on the front that can be used for precise echoing without measuring. That foot is a clear oval (almost rectangular) with red marks on the front for use with the needle in either the right or left position to get a nice consistent echo. You use one line to follow the line you want to echo and move the needle over to the other line- very convenient if you want that kind of precision

For my Vintage Brother VX560 (low shank)- I prefer the Westalee ruler foot- it floats and I can use it for both ruler work and regular (freehand) FMQ. When I got that machine new back in 1981- I used it without a foot for FMQ and free motion embroidery (which is how the instruction manual said to do it)- really had to watch where those fingers were in relation to the needle LOL!

For my vintage Kenmore (super high shank)- I drop the feed dogs and use either my zigzag, clear open toe satin stitch foot. I have never been able to find a darning foot for this machine because of the super high shank, but it does a great job FMQ with the regular feet.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 11-20-2017 at 04:33 AM.