Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
klswift

You are absolutely coming from the 'right place' in your thinking about gifting quilts. The key, I believe, is giving the quilt to a person who wants one. That sounds odd, but sometimes people give gifts for themselves and not for the recipient. Also, that they are something the person will want to use and display. A delicate, embellished white quilt will not work well for a person with a houseful of toddlers! One of my daughters is very modern with a 'boring' color scheme and minimalist decor. I have wanted to give her a quilt for years, but, what kind would actually be used? Finally I saw a modern illusions quilt and did it in greys, taupe and cream. It was very difficult for me to get started and work on it in the beginning. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was for her and her taste. It actually looked really good and she loves it. (And, it started me making a few more modern designed quilts.) But, you also have to remember that tastes change, so the grandson who is a huge Star Wars fan may change (although I doubt it with Star Wars!). If they do change and the quilt goes in the cupboard, so be it. You can not let it stop you from gifting someone else.