View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM
givio

Janice McC, My foray into the wool batting situation was a disaster. Knowing that wool would be warmer than cotton, I bought a full roll of wool batting, thinking how much I'd like it. It was Pellon brand. I had it shipped directly to the quilter, who I was paying to long arm quilt my quilts for me.

On the first quilt, I asked for a grid sized about 3/4" to 1" all over the quilt. The batting package suggested up to 4" apart for quilting lines, I think. When I got it back, it was lovely. It was light weight compared to my cotton batting quilts. And it was noticeably warmer. Just getting under it, I could feel the air around me was degrees warmer than the air above the quilt. Loved it! The quilt had a white background, I needed to wash it, the package of the batting indicated it could be cold water washed, I threw it in the washer on a cold only cycle, then the dryer.

I guess my mistake was the dryer??? I'm not sure. It pilled. Little pills of batting all over the front and back.

We did another quilt. I asked for dense free motion quilting, and some that she did was 1/4" or less in some fill areas. The same thing happened. It pilled.

I was so discouraged. About $100 for the roll (on 50% off sale at JoAnns), and another $200 for the quilting costs of the two quilts, plus shipping back and forth. But... I asked her to throw away the rest of the batting, or do what she wants with it. There's no way I'm going to bring a quilt to a dry cleaner. I wash my quilts a lot. They have to hold up to home washing for me!

What do we need for wool success? Scrim? Must we only line dry? What did I do wrong?

Last edited by givio; 11-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.