View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM
kidhauler1948

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I have a new embroidery-only machine, so I am very new to this type of embroidery; I bought it to enhance my quilting. In acquainting myself with the machine and online designs I can import, I discovered something called "Redwork." I have no idea why, but it calls to me. Perhaps I've seen it growing up? Anyway, I have not bought much thread yet, -per some good advice on this Board that recommended I experiment with various thread brands. I am specifically deciding what color Red would reflect the color of red used in Redwork in days of old. I'm intrigued enough with this style of embroidery that I've found a collection at embroideryonline.com -Victorian designs- that appeals to me. So, does anyone have a recommendation as to the color red I should search for? It would be nice if it is linked to the Brother color number system , but it certainly is not necessary. For now, I prefer polyester, but since this is a special exploration on my part, I'm more than willing to use something else, such as Sulky rayon or one of Floriani's threads -you know, the better quality threads. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
As Krisb states Turkey red is the dye used for redwork, The embroidery floss from DMC #304 is the closed in color to this. I would pick up a skein and use it for color comparison. Not a bad deal for under $1. Good luck.