View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM
tscweaves

This is an interesting thread for me to read. I am a weaver who just started quilting in the spring of 2017, so I am still on a pretty decent learning curve when it comes to quilting and for that matter, sewing. I had never enjoyed sewing until I picked up a couple of vintage sewing machines and discovered how fun they are. I started to quilt to use the machines and found I really enjoy it.

Back to the subject, I have not taken any quilting or sewing classes other than on Craftsy, yet I find it is interesting that the same behaviors go across all of the fiber arts. I have taken a lot of weaving classes and have run into the same issues, either unprepared equipment, someone taking a class that is either too hard or too easy for their skills, and the folks who just like to dominate the instructors time.

For my personal quilting journey, I have learned the most from the generosity of the quilters on this board. I am not yet familiar with the "big names" in quilting, so as of now I do not know of any classes that I would like to take. From what I have read here, I think that the friendly sewing get-togethers would be just right for me, but that type of thing will have to wait until I retire. I work 2nd shift, so I have not even been able to find a guild to play with because where I am, they meet weekday evenings, so that makes the quilting board my guild and teacher.