View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Barb in Louisiana

There should be another category for those that make the beautiful quilts shown at the International Quilt Fest. They should be considered professionals. Some are teachers, write patterns and actually quilt for the public. This is their job and livelihood. They are a level above the rest of us and most of us will never, ever attain that.

I consider an advanced quilter someone who can do paper piecing and wonderful hand turned applique. An expert to me is one who understands almost all things quilting and can read any quilting pattern and make a quilt with it and teach those methods to others.

I consider myself to be an advanced novice. I can do paper piecing, hate handwork so will never be able to do truly beautiful applique but can do the applique as raw edge. I tend to rewrite the pattern instructions so I have a difficult time actually following a pattern. For instance, if a pattern calls for 2 HST's that end up with a flying goose in the center, then I do a flying goose instead. This always takes me longer than if I would just do what the pattern said. My friends say I am too picky. I cannot say that I disagree with them. "smile"

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-29-2017 at 12:04 PM.