View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Kathryn75

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I think the 740 is all metal under the base, the only gear I have seen cracked is these models is the white plastic gear turning the cam stack. ...
A woman named Ashley has done some excellent reviews of vintage machines, including the 740 Favorit. http://www.ashleyandthenoisemakers.c...favorit-review and she says there are 4 in addition to the cam stack gear though I've only been able to see 3. I'm posting a picture of the cracked gear (black nylon, under the big horizontal drive shaft), which I believe is called the vertical shaft gear. I plan to drop it at Hinkletown Sewing Center in PA next week for repairs - they specialize in Bernina machines of all ages. I'll pick up a treadle belt too - I think you may be right that I can switch back and forth. It does seem odd that such a fast machine is equipped for treadle. I'm happy that I may be able to gain control via treadle until I learn how to sew faster!

Another question: it came with a good many feet plus a mystery item, some kind of sliding measure. I'm posting a picture of that too and would love to know if any of you recognize it.

Thanks for your comments!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584531[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]584532[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 740-gear.jpg   bernina-tool.jpg