View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I am incapable of doing the exact same thing as everyone else.
You sound just like me! If someone tells me, "There are two ways of doing this...", my very first impulse is to figure out what the third way to do it is!

I usually enjoy classes and don't let a bad actor or two turn me off if I'm having fun otherwise. I've never experienced a truly bad teacher, but I have had some inexperienced teachers that I've seen make mistakes (like not keeping control of the class, or just being so nervous they mess up a lot). I'll give a teacher like that a second try, and have not regretted it in most cases.

I've never heard anybody shun or shame someone for having a 'cheap' machine. I've seen all sorts of machines in classes, but other than some excitement when someone brings in a Featherweight, most people pretty much ignore what their classmates have brought in.

My experiences might be skewed, though - most of the sewing classes I have taken are associated with the local guild, which is a group of very nice people. I think there is a "culture" of friendliness and helpfulness that has been cultivated in the group, so most of my classmates already know each other and are supportive of each others work. I've had a lot of very positive experiences with that group.