Old 11-30-2017, 01:46 PM
onestrokeartist

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
We are quilters. We love everything about quilts, We know how much time, effort and money it takes into making a quilt. All these stories are about people who received quilts and "disrespected" the gifter. Really? Once you gift the quilt you're done. To assume everyone else has the same passion for quilts leads to these feelings of betrayal. Here's why I say this. I won't make a quilt for my mother. Why? Because quilts are just not her thing. She leans modern in her home decorating, she was not raised with family members quilting/sewing, so quilts have never been a part of her life. Now that she's 80 and I like to quilt, she is not going to change. She understands the time and effort I put into a quilt and thinks they are lovely, but not for her or in her house. BTW, my mother and I are really close. I'm sure there are many other people out there who receive quilts from friends who are just like this. Of course she has never said this directly to me, but when I was first starting to quilt I made her a lap quilt. I haven't seen it, so I am pretty sure she has gotten rid of it, but that's ok. I did specifically tell her it was hers to do as she wanted and that included not using it as well. The point is, she didn't disrespect me. I gave her something that she did not ask for, so how can I expect her to display/care for it in a way that I find acceptable? I for one am happy that people Use the quilt I gave them; and if that includes laying it on the ground for a picnic so be it.
I think the point is well made here. I would just add don't surprise anyone with a quilt as a gift if you are not quite sure if they will appreciate your quilt. Ask them if they would like a quilt. Also be honest and tell them, " Don't say yes, if you don't mean it. I would rather get you something else if my quilt is not going to be loved. " Believe me it works! I paint in acrylics and I refuse to gift a painting to someone who does not want my painting. I tell them that it hurts me for them to take one of my paintings when I can get them something else and give one of my paintings to someone who absolutely loves it!